Living on Lucky Street

This is the story of a girl who bought a house and lived to tell the tale. And yes, it's really on Lucky Street.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Punytown, Missouri, United States

I am "Master of English!" They still haven't sent me my tights and cape.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Such a Deal!!!!

This evening, I went with Mom and Dad to Home Depot to buy outlets and light switches and more vapor barrier plastic, and Dad had the idea to look at the cost of 12 inch marble tile for the bake center countertop. We can't afford to use marble or granite countertops, but he thought perhaps using the tile might produce a similar effect for much less money. I am so glad he did!!!

They were running a special price on jade green marble tile (which is really varied in color, with veins of pink, grey, and cream--fabulous!) for $1.49 per 12 inch square tile! That meant that for the bake center, which is 4 ft. long and 2 ft. deep, we'd need 8 tiles, which meant $15 for the whole countertop, including grout and mortar! When I heard that, I said, "Well, how much would it cost to do all of the countertops, except for the island, which is chopping block?" Dad did some figuring, and it was 45 square feet for the entire kitchen, which means that if we use the marble for the back splashes as well as all of the counterspace, it's $95 for all of the tile! Wahoo! That's less than anything else we could do, including making our own stuck down formica!

It took me about three seconds to blink hard, swallow, and say, "Put it in the cart."

I got the sink, two garbage disposals, the dishwasher, oven, and microwave for $250 used. The huge side-by-side refrigerator with ice and water dispensor in the door was $750, originally $1200 but marked down at the outlet store. The stove is yet to be bought, but thanks to my Aunt Mary, we can get a $750 one for $550 at a place she knows about in KC.

So now I'll have marble countertops with custom made cherry wood cabinets and counter edging and black appliances, plus an island with 6 ft. long maple chopping block top and breakfast bar overhang (which Dad got for less than $50 in a closeout sale). How dazzlingly gorgeous is that!?! And so cheap, I can hardly believe it!

All I have left to do is buy a small sink for the island (which will use the second garbage disposal) and then pick out the flooring, and we may do new oak flooring throughout the entire downstairs. Home Depot has a deal on that too! I want to pass out from happiness!

(Crossposted on my regular blog)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home